Friday, August 1, 2014

15 Facts about India [As Told by a Foreigner]

-The head bobbling is a fine art…and also gives me a headache if I watch for too long
-People will pay 100 rupees to take a picture with you
-Every Indian woman is obsessed with my nose piercing-they are shocked when I tell them that I got it in the United States…my assumption is that many of the women believe that the piercing is only found in India
-A bindi is placed in the middle of the forehead as it aims to retain energy and strengthen concentration (when asking natives of Bangalore, no one knew the true meaning of its usage, other than its now commonly known purpose for fashion)
-“Cold” water bottles sold in stores and restaurants is more like room temperature water
-Don’t become too exuberant when hearing the phrase “AC” when selecting buses, hotels or restaurants-sadly, this only equivocates to a fan (but trust me, it’s worth every extra penny)
-Not spicy=spicy
-Finding a napkin in a public setting is like finding gold
-Monkeys are extremely vicious. Don’t feed the monkeys.
-Always carry tissues for squat toilets
-KFC offers more vegetarian options than I ever imagined possible. They even pride themselves in emphasizing the fact that their lemonade is “100% VEG”
-One coffee= 5% expresso, 95% milk
-Traffic Hierarchy (the unspoken laws of who has the immediate right away)
            CowsàRickshawsàMotorcyclesàCarsàpedestrians
-Explaining the idea of “to go” when referring to food or coffee is difficult to comprehend; One must use the terms “take-away” or “parcel.” (Fun fact: When asking for a “to-go” coffee cup one afternoon, the worker actually tried to pour my steaming hot espresso into a thin plastic bag until I nearly jumped over the counter to stop him).
-It takes 3 times as long to wait in line to check out and pay for groceries as it does to grocery shop at a very leisurely pace


No comments:

Post a Comment